Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rosemary Cookies

These cookies are delicious. I first tried them at a delightful little bakery in Salt Lake. Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs, and I was so intrigued by the thought of using it in a cookie that I had to buy some. They are DELICIOUS!! Definitely in the top three of my favorite cookies. This is a modified recipe, since I wasn't sure how to find a good recipe for rosemary cookies. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 C flour
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 C butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp heavy cream
Rosemary

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork. Stir in the egg, vanilla, and cream. Add in quite a bit of rosemary. This dough seems like it will never lump together. I find it works best if you knead it with your hands. You want there to be quite a bit of visible rosemary in your dough. (See picture below)
Don't rely on your sense of smell, as the rosemary flavor comes out AFTER it's been cooked. It won't smell like rosemary much at all. The dough will kind of pull apart funny, as seen here:
You can either roll out the dough (like sugar cookies, or just plop it on like any other cookies. I did the plop method myself.
Bake at 350 on a greased cookie sheet for 5-8 minutes. You want the bottoms to be just barely golden brown. The tops will still look white. If you roll out your cookies, I would make the bottoms even lighter.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I made my family's shortbread recipe with lavender in it one time and that was probably really similar to this. I bet lavender would work here as well, but you just can't overdo it or it's almost perfumey (if that's really a word!).

Amanda said...

I may have to try that!! I love weird herb combinations!