Saturday, April 11, 2009

German Chocolate Cake



This recipe is way up there on my list of favorite cakes. Like- top three for sure. What really makes it is the frosting. It is kindof caramelized and chewy, and absolutely divine. Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients (Cake):
2 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 C oil
3 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 C milk
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 C hot water

Beat together sugar, eggs, oil, and cocoa. Add milk, flour, soda, vanilla, and salt. Once that is mixed in, add the hot water. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and cook at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Ingredients (Frosting):

1/4 C milk
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C coconut
3/4 C butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 C nuts (traditionally pecans)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Boil for a few minutes, then pour over a warm cake. It will be pretty runny. Just spread it out as evenly as you can. Broil it in the oven until it's starting to blacken on the tips. Delicious!

3 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Mmmm, I remember you made this for us once when you were in Boise. I still have the topping recipe in my book, now I have the cake too!

Overall Family said...

I love how you show the half eaten piece. I want the other half!