Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rhubarb Cobbler

This is my all-time favorite cobbler. EVER!! Seriously, it is like 8 stars on a 5 star rating of cobblers. Nothing can compare. And this just happens to be the best recipe ever for rhubarb cobbler, so you are in luck! What makes this cobbler so amazing is the topping. It reminds me of coffee cake in consistency, so it's really good. Try it- you'll never eat peach cobbler again!

What the recipe says:

Filling:
1 C Sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
8 C Rhubarb (in pieces, or you can use frozen)

Mix them all together in a saucepan with like 2 Tbsp of water. It will boil down into a gel-like substance, pretty similar to pie filling, if you've ever made that. It takes like 5-8 minutes or so. When it's done, put it in a 9x13.
This is before the rhubarb started to cook down. The chunks are pretty big.
This is after I stirred in the strawberries (see below). It's pretty much a gel.
You can see how thick it is.


Topping:
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Butter
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Whole Milk
1 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt

Cream the butter and the sugar. Add liquids. Add dry ingredients. Drop it over the rhubarb part. It doesn't matter if it's all covered, although it ends up pretty well covered anyway. Bake it in the oven at 350 degrees until the topping is golden brown. I'm not sure how long this takes at all. The recipe doesn't say (since I wrote it down) and I didn't keep track of the time. Maybe a half hour?
How the topping looks raw. As you can see, I have filling peeking through.
The finished product from the side, so you can see how thick the topping gets. It's delicious!


What I did differently....

Well, for starters, I made a boo-boo and added an extra cup of sugar to the rhubarb. Yeah, I wasn't paying attention. Luckily, I added some salt, so it doesn't taste too bad. My suggestion for that- DON'T DO IT!!
Then, I only had 5 C of rhubarb, as I bought mine fresh after going to way too many stores to find it, either fresh or frozen, and bought all they had. I thought it would make 8 C, but I was wrong. It takes a lot of rhubarb to make 8 C. So, I added some strawberries after I cooked the rhubarb down. Strawberries break down easily, and they turn brown if you cook them down, so I just added them fresh into the 9x13. They will break down some in the oven while the topping is cooking. As for this amendment, I would say, go for all rhubarb if you can. I just like it better. If I had been making it just for me, I would have halved the recipe, but I am taking it to a YW thing, so I have to have plenty.

Nutritional Facts:

Per serving (12 servings total)
Calories: 274
Calories from fat: 78
Total Fat: 8.6g
Saturated Fat: 5.2g
Cholesterol: 37 mg
Sodium: 116 mg
Total Carbs: 47.9g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8g (7%)
Sugars: 34.8g
Protein: 2.7g
Vitamin A: 7%
Vitamin C: 11%
Calcium: 11%
Iron: 4%

2 comments:

Laura said...

Mmmm, that sounds good! I love rhubarb and Ben and I were thinking of planting some this year. Thanks!

Overall Family said...

That looks like it was soooo worth all of your hard work looking for rhubarb. Thanks for the post, can't wait to make it. PS love the pictures and nutritional facts. Way impressive.:)