Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BEST FROSTING EVER. EVER. (For cakes) EVER

Side by side view of the miracle frosting at work.
I should not have been frosting that cake at three in the morning. Maybe them it would have taken me less than 10 minutes to realize that I didn't really need to go to the store for orange, 'cuz I had yellow and red and mixing the two would give me orange. Sorry people, I'm a leettle slow.
Red frosting. Chiltons is the best, they have stuff that is thicker than the liquid food coloring you can buy at the grogery store-and remember, a little bit goes a long way! Except for the red-that took two bottles.
Big mess.
Finished product. Actually tasted good. People said so. And they consumed it.

Ingredients
8 egg whites
13 ounces (by weight!) of sugar (regular, NOT powdered)
1 pound of butter at room temp
1/4 cup margerine at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
food coloring as needed
Procedures

1. Take, 8 egg whites and 13 ounces (by weight-I know, you need a scale, this would be the excuse you need to get one) and place in a double boiler.
2. Heat and stir constantly until mixture reaches 140 degrees.
3. Transfer to a stand mixer and mix until you get stiff peaks (I used a hand mixer-took for-ever) and mixture reaches room temprature.
* If the mixure is still too warm, and you are using a stand mixer, use ice on the side of the bowl to cool the stuff off-if using a hand mixer, like I was, place the bowl with the frosting in a bigger bowl with a little bit of water and ice. As you mix with your hand mixer, let go of the bowl and it will spin in the ice water and cool itself right down.

4. have 1 pound of butter and 1/4 cup of margarine at room temprature ready. As you are mixing your high stiff peaks, slowly add the butter/margerine, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. If it is still too runny, it is still too warm.

5. As you finish adding the fat, the mixture will stiffen up and look just like frosting. At this point, it is ready for use.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Great job on the cake. At first the egg whites scared me, but since it's cooked, I'm OK with it now. Think I'll try it soon (but the next birthday is mine and someone else better make my cake!!).